a blog by Jonas Kyle-Sidell

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Eels, End Times

My stepdad had this album by a group called "Eels" over christmas - I'd never heard of them but I dug it totally. When I got back to Baltimore I bought it, then I bought the album of theirs preceding it, and then the one before that. To my delight, they just released a new one on Jan. 16th which is their next release after the first one I bought. This one's called, End Times. It's a break-up album, a divorce album, an end of the world album. My tendencies don't tend toward such drama these days, but if you checked with me a year ago my answer would have been different (or just not there). But actually, the album is not over dramatic either; it retains a very palpable sense of whimsy amidst the weariness and never really, come to think of it, gets too angry. Just enough to say "You've come unhinged, baby. . ." But I think the beauty of this album is how the lead singer - who's ship this clearly is - takes it inside, and drives "straight into the night." It's a very adult album in that sense, but also keeps a boyish "God damn, I miss that girl" sensibility. There's some upbeat bluesy numbers, too, in the mix; which are really refreshing. Songs are sparsely lit, overcome by a hush: damn good! for all the snowy weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment